Thursday, July 15, 2010

Our Christmas in July

Do you know where Santa lives?  The North Pole, of course...  but you may not realize that the North Pole is not nearly as far north as your teachers may have led you to believe.  In all actuality, Santa's Workshop is located in Cascade,CO.

I can prove it 'cause here's a picture of the real Sanny Claus.

This is yet again, one of those childhood memories for not only myself, but also for my mom.  There was a particular "Elmer the Elf" that my mom's family distinctly recalls her calling "Armor the Oaf." The park was actually opened in 1956 so many of the rides are vintage- which makes me love the park even more! 

Last year, Jesse, the kids and I had the opportunity to go.  I was somewhat skeptical because it had been years since I had been, and the kids were so young I wasn't sure how much there would be for them to do.  But even last year, there were very few rides that the kids couldn't do with an adult.  And there even were plenty of rides they could do alone.  It's definitely not a place you'd want to take your teenagers, but it is a perfect first theme park for your toddlers and preschoolers!

At first, Eliana was hesitant to ride anything... which meant Diego went alone on several rides.

She got onto this ride (in the green bug), but then chickened out before it started.

Mom convinced her to ride this one by getting on with her.

And she was happier getting on here because she got to choose which boat they rode in.


This is one of my favorite photos from last year's trip. (They look like comrades!)

So, I was excited for them to do this ride again this year.  But they insisted on getting into different rockets this time around, which made it much more difficult for me to get a shot of them together.  And when I finally did...

They kinda look like worst enemies, instead.  Oh, the irony!

I have a secret: I'm deathly afraid of heights.  Standing on a chair can make me queasy- and I love it when I'm pregnant over Christmas because I can get out of wrapping the top of the tree with lights. (Jesse refuses to do it any other time because I'm a bit of a control-freak about how it is done.)  But I still ride the Ferris Wheel while I'm here- even though it holds the world record for being at the highest altitude.

Because look at this view. 

Even Eliana (who was hesitant to ride again) enjoyed it after we got up there.

We enjoyed our time there.

(Even if some people got a little bit sick after riding this one.)

Between the rides...

And feeding the deer...

It was a great day at the North Pole!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i've been there before; so adorable and fun. cute pics!