Monday, August 29, 2011

The Butterfly House

We finally made it over to the Butterfly House at Botanica today. Yes, we have a membership. And yes, it's been open most of the summer. But I don't do hot well. I get migraines easily enough that I pretty much avoid all triple digit weather. So, I don't know why I thought today was a good day to go other than we had no plans and the kids have been begging to go.

I was told that there was a volunteer working at the Butterfly House. But I also noticed there were signs posted all over the place notifying us that because of the heat advisory, they were giving most of their volunteers time off. Let's be real honest here, we've had heat advisories most of the summer without letting volunteers off. It's because school is in session and there's no longer big crowds of kids all over the place. One more reason to go today. We can deal with not having volunteers around to help.

The kids had a great time looking at butterflies. Cruz was mesmerized with all the flitting creatures above his head. The kids liked looking at all the Chrysalises and lamented the poor dead ones pinned inside the case. They worried that perhaps a few of the dead ones might be theirs they let go there over the spring.






 They colored pictures and when Diego was done with that, I taught him how to get a butterfly to climb on his finger.


 He loved it and Cruz was very happy to get a closer look.



Then Eliana ran up and scared it away.


She's every bit as wild as her brothers. (At least when she's with us... don't let her shy demeanor around strangers deceive you!)



2 comments:

Emily B. said...

Umm, apparently I should have called you last minute this morning like I was tempted to. We were there around 11 and just missed it looks like! WAH!

Michelle said...

I picked up the membership info when we were there a few weeks ago. I'm excited to go back lots this fall while all the other children are in school!