Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hedgehogs and Clean Nails

Ever been somewhere with three kids by yourself when one decides to get sick? Well, if you haven't, count yourself lucky. What was supposed to be a happy time at my friend's surprise party quickly turned sour when Diego told me he was going to puke.

We were at an office (so sorry, SHS!) so I quickly asked where the ladies room was, grabbed Diego by one hand, lugged Cruz with me in the crook of my arm and ditched Eliana. (Who fortunately was unaware that I had left the premises without telling her where I was going because she was wrapped up in the eating a cupcake.) We open the door to the ladies room and he spews... all over a 3-years-old girl who happened to be standing directly behind the door. Lovely.

A great deal of apologizing and cleaning ensued... fortunately 3-years-old girl's mom had a friend with a child with an extra set of clothing for her to wear. And she was immensely forgiving of the entire situation and volunteered to hold Cruz after her daughter had been cleaned so I could begin to clean Diego and the bathroom... well, clean as best as you can clean with out cleaning supplies.

Needless to say, our party stay was short-lived and I left feeling silly for thinking I could handle taking 3 kids to a party by myself. I'm a silly, foolish woman, I tell you. I came home tired, dirty, frustrated and with a sick boy. Boo.

Next day, I find Diego (who constantly has dirty nails no matter how hard I try--what is it about boys and their nails?) scrubbing away with his hedgehog nailbrush. I can't tell you how many times I've talked to him about cleaning his nails because germs in dirty nails can make you sick. Never has mattered to him. But here he was scrubbing away.

Me: What you doing?

Diego: Cleaning my nails so I feel better.

Me: It makes you feel better to clean your nails?

Diego: Yeah, after they're all clean, I won't feel sick anymore.

Me: Really? Okay. (I help him until the doorbell rings. We stop and answer the door. I begin to chat with my mom until Diego starts to whimper.)

Diego: I'm going to demp (his work for vomit) because these two nails are still dirty and making me sick!

Me: Okay, let's go finish up so you'll feel better.

He's been all better since. :) My mom tells me I'm going to make him OCD if I let him continue to believe he'll be sick if his nails aren't clean, but for the first time ever I have a boy that wants to keep his nails clean. So, what's a girl to do?

No comments: