Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fail

Have you ever had one of those brilliant ideas you were so excited to try that ended as a complete flop? That was me last night.


I had a head of cauliflower and was determined to get it into my kids without complaint. I found this recipe with rave reviews. I didn't have sherry on hand, but then again, when would I? Other than that, I felt like I was pretty good to go. A great rating and biscuit to dip into the soup would make it perfect, right? Right?...

First part of the directions went well. Then, I got to the put it in the blender part. Big mess. Everywhere. Apparently, hot foods expand when being blended. I went back to the recipe for any tips on blending soup. Nada. But I did see someone mention mashing it with their potato masher. Tried it, nope, the veggies were way too recognizable that way for the kids.

I found this link about blending warm foods... finally success after my huge mess was cleaned up.

Time to serve up the creamy goodness. It was good! Yeah! I could hardly wait for the kids to try it.

Try it? Please eat it. Please. I had to spoon feed my five year old to get it down him.

My three year old was a different matter. Spoonful, spoonful, spoonful, lots of bites of biscuit and drinks of milk between each spoonful. Lots of chants about not liking it. Lots of pleading for just three more bites and then you can be done. Bite one, down. Bite two, woah... what's that face? Not the gag reflex face, please no. Ok, take a drink quick and get it down. No? Too late? Most definitely too late.

After my second huge mess clean up of the night *sigh*, I would rate this a fail. I loved it. My husband tolerated it... let's just say my kids come by their aversion for veggies naturally. So, would I suggest you try this recipe if you come from a family of veggie lovers? Most definitely! Smooth and creamy and wonderful!

Would I suggest this recipe for a way to sneak veggies into your kids or hubby? Please spare yourself the time and use of way too many paper towels.

The End. 

No comments: