Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Vintage Ornament Wreath

Last year I oohed and aahed over Meg's wreath and promised myself I'd be scavenging for cheap vintage ornaments to do the same with this year. Then, by the time I got to go estate saleing again, well, I'd forgotten. But thank goodness for mommas who remember things for you! My mom pointed our three large bags of vintage balls for a great deal and I snatched them up.

Tonight, I finally had time to put together my new front door wreath. I'm pleased with the results!

Here's what I did-- just on the off chance you have ornaments laying around you'd like to use.

I made my wreath form out of cardboard (I place my wreath on my front door and behind my screen door, so this gives me more space for  balls than a tradition straw or styrofoam form would).

After that, I glued vintage National Geographics photos to the back in a collage because the back always show through the window and therefore needs look interesting.

I painted the front of the form with gold paint.

And then painted some acorns that had popped from their caps... and glued them back in place. (Since I had the paint out anyway.)

After it dried, I added a ribbon, using Jesse's trusty hot glue gun that I now steal for all sorts of projects. Yes, that's right, my husband owns a hot glue gun. He doesn't craft with it--apparently they're used in construction too.

Then I started adding the biggest balls to the form and then layered from there.



Then, wal-lah! Done in about an hour, and finally there's at least one thing in my home decorated for the season! *sigh* Baby-steps, right?



How's your home these days? Please, please tell me I'm not the only one who's just started decorating. Anyone?

5 comments:

mommyjoymarie said...

So pretty!!

mpoffman said...

Very beautiful, and I got to see it in person this morning when I left some odds and ends on your front porch. One of the "odds" should help with your decorating. Oh, and my tree is "up" but only has about 10 ornaments on it; only 5,782 to go! ;)

Michelle said...

I love it!

The Full Time Wife said...

That is so beautiful! It makes me happy!! :)

Très bien said...

Haha, we still need to get a tree!! You are not the only one :]. Thanks for stopping by today and for the advice about scripture! I sooo appreciate it :]
Très bien
redemptionisbeautiful.blogspot.com