Thursday, March 4, 2010

Youth For Christ

Many of you know that Jesse started working for Youth For Christ when we moved back to Wichita in 2005.  But some of you may not know how much of an impact YFC has had on the rest of our lives. My dad was actually working for YFC when I was born in Hastings, NE.  (That's why I'm a Husker... blame it on YFC.) Dad worked for them for years and even after he moved began youth ministry at a church, he still volunteered with them.  I can remember going to fund-raiser walks way back in the day when dad was young and wore polyester shorts that were way too short.


But besides YFC being a big chunk of my childhood, my mom took a job with YFC my last year of college. After I graduated from college, I found myself teaching and not doing anything closely related to missions (which made me an unhappy camper) until my mom mentioned me to the director of YFC's mission program, Project Serve.  Two weeks later, I was down in Mexico for a week over spring break at Jesse's parents' church. By the end of that week, I had decided to return for the entire summer. And one of the first people I met the first week of the summer... Jesse.  You see, we owe a lot to YFC!


During the three years that he worked for Youth For Christ Wichita, we were blessed abundantly by the way God used us to lovingly draw kids coming out of terrible situations to Himself.  It was a very challenging and rewarding time for Jesse and I.  And Jesse was blessed to not only work with some incredible kids but also some incredible adults who really have a heart for the youth they are working with. 


(Pam, Jeremy, Dale, Juanita)

One of the coolest things about YFC is their vision.  Listen to this: To see every young person in every people group in every nation have the opportunity to make an informed decision to become a follower of Jesus Christ and to become a part of a local church. How cool is that? The Wichita staff work in the local public schools, the juvenile justice system, with teen parents and even teach GED classes to youth! 

They are a dedicated bunch and we are excited that Diego will be bowling in their fundraiser bowl-a-thon this weekend!  So, far Diego has about $45 in pledges, but we'd love to see him raise more.  If you think you might be able to give even a small amount, would you please pray about helping out?  And if you can't right now, but are interested in learning more about their ministry, please feel free to visit them on the web.

Thanks and God Bless!

No comments: