Saturday, December 1, 2012

Preparing Little Hearts (And Yours!)


As mothers, we must always be in the mindset of preparing little hearts for the Lord. But honestly, I often fail at this. Sometimes, I can't see past the messy kitchen, the toys scattered everywhere, the bickering, the hungry tummies that need to be fed... whatever. There are a hundred million things that can easily distract us from our greatest calling as parents. To make disciples of the little ones God has entrusted us with. 

One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is the visual reminders this season affords as I decorate the house. I wrote about this over here a few days ago. But as much as it's a reminder for my kids, it's also a reminder for myself. The Christmas music that we play, is an auditory reminder of what I am to be about. As much as I am supposed to be about preparing hearts for the Lord through out the year, this time is a great reminder (a reset button) for me to be ever preaching the gospel to my kids. And ever preaching the gospel to myself.

Last year, I shared some of my favorite books for kids here. I've also shared about my love of Sally Lloyd-Jones and have shared about The Jesus Storybook Bible here.  This year, I hope to soon add this one to our Christmas book collection. I can't wait to read it... she has such a great manner of getting the heart of the gospel into kid language.
Okay, to wrap this all up... here's what I want to say... as much as you're reminding your kids about Christ during Christmas. Remind yourself as well! As you are trying to prepare little hearts for the Lord, prepare your own! Don't get so caught up in all the to-dos of the season that you forget to slow down and seek the face of your Maker, Who humbled Himself to come down and be born for you! If you preach it to yourself, then it'll become a natural flow out of your heart to your kids. More like a bubbling spring and less like the almost-dry well that your heart becomes when you aren't seeking the Lord! With that in mind, here's a resource for you-- and it's free, so no excuses! Okay?

Permalink

Have a great weekend! And I hope you have a wonderful start to Advent season!




No comments: